Monday, December 1, 2008

NPR Shapes American Culture

I can't even remember how many times I've bought something (book, movie, CD, toy, etc.) after listening to a feature of that particular item on National Public Radio (NPR). Most of Los Angeles is pretty lucky to have two NPR stations, namely 89.3 KPCC and 89.9 KCRW. Used to be a KCRW listener when I lived in West LA but had been a KPCC loyalist since moving to Pasadena in '95. Anyway, I did it again recently, buying a non-fiction book titled "The Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell and a novel "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace. I dare say that if it weren't for NPR, I would spend less money of books, music, film and the like but then again, what's life without these necessities? (Thank goodness, those podcasts are free.)
So I figured out why conservatives hate NPR. It educates the masses and an educated population is not to the benefit of conservatives who want as narrow a definition of American culture as possible.

No comments: