Monday, February 23, 2009

Moving To The '909'

Finally moved into the city where I expect my kids to attend intermediate school (Grades 6 through 8) and high school. Going from a city with a lot of history like Pasadena to a relatively new incorporated city like Rancho Cucamonga (est. 1977) is not something I would have predicted years ago. I've always thought I'll spend the rest of my life in the city famous for the Rose Parade, Caltech, Rose Bowl, Huntington Gardens (and at least 3 other art museums) all within 20 minutes of downtown Los Angeles. Rancho C. is in the 909 area code and with existing cell phone coverage, I don't have to get a land line with a 909 prefix. (Whew!) It was relatively painless 14 yrs ago moving from Santa Monica to Pasadena -- a city established in 1886 that is rich in culture, tradition and history. But Rancho C. will not be an easy adjustment for me. MOCA in downtown LA is now an hour away, LACMA another 20 minutes and the Southbay beaches close to 2 hrs. Yikes. But on the plus side, the upper desert is now only 20 minutes away and Las Vegas just got closer by a half hour. Oh, and the public schools are really excellent in the 'hood I moved into.

No comments: