Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Elsie


It's a silly thing to do but I'm going to do it anyway.  I'm giving my Lincoln Continental a name.  Why on earth people name their cars is probably a Southern California thing but for an old car built in 1965, I think it's totally appropriate to have a name.  A girl's name.  I got this idea watching "Gone In 60 Seconds" where Nicolas Cage named the Shelby GT-500 as "Eleanor".  In fact, all 50 cars in that movie had girls' names.  So what's in a name?  I tried looking up the most popular girl's names in 1965 and none really stood out in terms of the personality of my cream '65 convertible.  And then there's the obvious ones, Connie or Tina (derivatives of Continental) but those do not seem quite deserving.  I considered "Adele", after the trailer trash character played by Juliette Lewis in the movie "Kalifornia" -- which featured a same era Lincoln.  "Betty" seemed like a cool name for a convertible but isn't every 60's car already named that?  So I've had this mental block on what to name the car since I decided to look for a girl's name about a week ago.  Until now, that is -- when I started typing my thoughts on this whole dilemma.  I figured "Elsie" is the best name because not only is it somewhat date appropriate for the age of the car (who names their daughter born in the last 20 years Elsie?) and it is also meaningful -- Elsie is phonetically LC (initials for Lincoln Continental).  My gal, Elsie.

No comments: