Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Postcard

The whole intent was to get a project car, spend a little bit of time and money restoring it, and get something running within a year.  That was the original intent in buying the '69 Corvette on May 14, 2001 from this guy in Ontario, something for Maura to drive around when she did not have the kids with her.  I started on the clutch replacement within a month which required dropping the transmission and keeping the car's four wheels on jackstands.  Well, shit happens and next thing I knew, life just got too busy and soon enough, everything got turned completely upside down and it's December 2010, we've moved from the Pasadena house to Rancho Cucamonga.  And the Vette was still on the same jackstands from 9 years ago.  I finally put the clutch together around November 2010, installed new brakes and decided to get the car painted.  It took it to McJack's in Anaheim until early May 2011 to get the car repainted (along with several other body and engine fixes).  Last weekend, I finally took all my paperwork to the local AAA office to get the DMV transfer of ownership when I noticed the date both on the bill of sale and on the form I was filling out.  Last Saturday, May 14th, I ended up registering the car exactly 10 years to the day Maura and I bought it.  When I took it in to be painted, I had planned on getting the car running in March of this year but the delays that led to these exact milestone dates is just way too coincidental.  Somehow, my gut instinct tells me this is just another postcard from her.

No comments: