Thursday, August 4, 2011

Closing Borders

I've always lived in cities that have more than 4 bookstores -- Los Angeles and Pasadena.  When I moved to Rancho Cucamonga, I was not too happy with the limited selection of having the Borders at Victoria Garden Mall and the Barnes & Noble on Foothill -- but decided that two corporate bookstores is better than no bookstore at all.  So when Borders announced they were closing all stores last week (while we were in Hawaii), I know I'm down to the Barnes & Noble.  Sad.  The whole friggin' city of Rancho Cucamonga will have a single bookstore in about a month.  Ok, I can still but books at Target and Walmart, one might argue.  Please.  Amazon? Maybe, but the concept of a bookstore is to have a place where members of the community can interact.  Virtual community, I'm sorry, is not what I have in mind.  Since the announcement of the closing, I've been to Borders twice last week in Honolulu and twice this week at home to start buying up some of the bargains but I'm really at a lost where to get books by the end of next month.  Vroman's in Pasadena is 37 miles away.  MOCA and LACMA bookstores are at least 50 miles from the 909.  Maybe in the ashes of these corporate giants, the independents can make their way back.  One can only hope.

No comments: