Tuesday, September 2, 2008

(More) Unintended Consequences

Although gas has dipped below $4 a gallon, people still seem to be making lifestyle changes to avoid the direct transfer of wealth to already fattened oil companies. A couple trips to the grocery store today punctuated the trend. When I dropped off a prescription, I saw this mother and her 2 daughters (maybe 8 and 10 yrs old), getting ready to ride their bikes, each carrying a bag of groceries. She seems to have solved my problem of how to carry multiple bags on a bike -- bring along your kids and let them each carry a bag.
An hour later, I picked up the prescription and I saw this French-speaking man and his 2 sons setting up their bikes with grocery. I would not have paid too much attention to them except he was strapping on a 12-pack of Corona beer on his bike rack! I know cycling is big in France but I thought they only carried wine bottles and baguettes on their bikes. A 12-pack of Mexican beer. On top of that, he has a child seat near his handlebars. Point being, another family electing to leave their car at home. I had trouble finding a spot to lock my bike as well since there were about half a dozen bikes there already so the eucalyptus tree sufficed. This would have been unthinkable a year ago.
I just hope people continue to use their cars less even as gas prices dip. In addition, maybe Americans will get rid of the "fattest people in the world" label.

No comments: