Thursday, September 8, 2011

Overheard At BCAM

I've had this in my journal since July 2008 when BCAM opened at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA):
-------
A month after BCAM's grand opening, I overhead this at the gallery housing Damien Hirst's "Away From The Flock" piece.
Guard: "You know, these exhibits ain't for everybody."
Couple of gray-haired museum visitors, seniors, continue to observe sheep encased in formaldehyde. No response.
Guard walks closer, "You know, these exhibits ain't for everybody."
Older gentleman: "Excuse me?"
Guard: "They aint' for everybody."
Older gentleman: "They ain't for me either."
Guard smiles, obviously proud of the affirmation. They all walked away to look at Hirst's more colorful but equally dead butterflies instead.
I walked toward the sheep thinking, would they have liked it better if I had some red ink with me?  Hmm.

No comments: