Sunday, November 27, 2011

Four Strings (Are Easier To Play Than Six)

We got the bass off Craigslist a couple months back.  JJ wanted to learn bass so he started lessons at Alta Loma Music every Friday evening recently.  Somewhere in between, I started playing around as well and not only do I find playing bass really fun but also found it a bit easier since I don't have to deal with the harmonics like guitar playing.  Now, I pay attention to bass lines on songs and then try to figure out how to play it.  I've been playing guitar since I was 13 but playing electric bass is as much fun as I can remember in a long while.  Played without a pick, it's all about getting in the right groove with the rhythm of a song and slapping it just right.  I can now fully appreciate what funk is really all about.  So far, I've learned The Cure's "Fascination Street", Black Sabbath's "Children of the Grave" and Muse's "Uprising".  As JJ progresses with his playing, I can see a scheduling conflict using the only bass and bass amp we have in the house but for now, I'm happy to slap along when he's not using it.

No comments: