Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Backyard Oasis

After seeing the exhibit at Palm Springs Art Museum on the culture of swimming pools and photography in Southern California, I can't help but look through my photographic archive with a fresh perspective.  In this picture I took sometime in the summer of 2007, there are several things that stand out as I look at it.  First of, this is a goggled, 9-year old Sam posing for me as I snapped away.  Gone is the little kid as Sam has now grown to 5'6" as he approaches 14.  Also, gone is the pool in the background.  My brother's house in Bradbury had the most amazing pool in his backyard that we had access to all year round.  He had since moved to the Pasadena Rose Bowl neighborhood and currently does not have a pool but I see him getting one soon.  And finally, in the far right is Maura, relaxing in the shade, playing lifeguard and just overall enjoying time with family.  I'll miss Sam the little kid but he's grown up and will continue to do so for a little while.  We miss Norm's pool but there'll be other pools.  We'll always miss Maura.  It was a good time.

No comments: