Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Smith Center, Las Vegas


The Smith Center is one of the more interesting buildings I have had the chance to visit in the last 10 years.  The one word I would pick to describe the architecture is "timeless".  Primarily of an art deco design heritage, the Smith Center opened its first season earlier this year and I had the good fortune to see the legendary flamenco guitarist Paco de Lucia last month.  Unlike the modern appeal of any of Frank O'Gehry, who ironically has a building a block away, the Smith Center is about classical lines and materials that are intended to stand the test of time.  A hundred years from now, I can only imagine how people will perceive modern architectural works but with the Smith Center, I don't really have to speculate as we all know that art deco has withstood the test of time.  Besides timeless, expensive is the other word that comes to mind.  From the chandeliers to the trash can to door handles, everything is custom and perfectly fabricated.  Another reason to visit Sin City.  The other irony in my whole experience is I was forced to find another venue where Paco was playing since his show at the Walt Disney Concert Hall (another Gehry building) was sold out.  Driven by my determination to see Paco, I knew I was willing to travel distances to any concert.  Serendipity.  A happy accident.  A discovery.

No comments: