Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Strawberry Guava

I was introduced to the strawberry guava during our hike to Nounou Mt Trail a couple days ago.  Little did I realize that these trees grow at an alarming rate and tends to take over countless acres of native Hawaiian forest.  Also known as "waiawi", the plant was introduced in the 1800s from Brazil and is actually Hawaii's most destructive non-native species.  I never really had an appreciation for why I had to fill out the agriculture declaration forms flying into the islands but after what I've read on the strawberry guava, I do now.  The only thing worse than the strawberry guava taking over Hawaiian forest is the state government using herbicide (poison) to eradicate the plant -- which had been proposed but hopefully rejected for obvious reasons.

No comments: