Sunday, January 30, 2011

Records Of Consumption

No, these are not currency rolls that make up some huge stash of money.  However, I will argue that the cash equivalent that these several wads of receipts add up to will need a bigger box to fit in.  These receipts were in several plastic bags before my obsessive-compulsive nature turned them into some orderly installation, taking a couple weeks to patiently flatten and roll up.  As I was rolling receipts from each bag, I can't help but think that this is some detailed record of my life from late 2005 through early 2010.  Receipts from grocery, gas, furniture, hardware, bookstore, art store, department store, name it, it's all here. I don't think my life is interesting enough for anyone to even consider going through my Trader Joe's receipt in Jan 2007 and find I bought some prepackaged Indian food, sparkling water, some roasted almonds and frozen mochi dessert.  Like some form of consumption diary, it's mind-boggling to think how much each of us consumes over a lifetime.

No comments: