Saturday, April 21, 2012

Marley (2012)

I have to say, I was a bit hesitant on taking the kids to a documentary film.  But Sam had been listening to Bob Marley for as long as I can remember and of course, JJ, absorbs the music as well just by being around us.  But this is a wonderful story about a man who simply wants happiness and basically, mankind to become one.  Like most, I am very familiar with his music, somewhat aware of his politics but knew little about his personality.  This movie by Kevin McDonald changed all that.  This movie is about a man who lived a rich life, not in the traditional sense -- but rich in music, rich in meaning and sense of purpose (and rich in mind-altering weed as well).  If anything, I can only hope my kids got a little bit of that as well from watching over 2 hours of a great story told with the ommi-present soundtrack of reggae music.  The first Bob Marley song I ever heard when they played "Jamming" on the radio way back in the Philippines in the 70s.  I can still remember the beat as hypnotic.  As a side note, I'm really glad, Laemmle Theaters opened in Claremont. I took for granted the art houses living on the westside and in Pasadena.  Since Marley is a limited release, I would otherwise had to drive over 40 miles just to see the documentary.  Instead, the kids and I enjoyed some Earth Day celebration music around Claremont Village just prior to watching the movie.

No comments: