Monday, January 14, 2013

I Miss Playing Acoustic

I'm very happy to be making music with my kids over the past 8 months but I do miss one thing -- playing my nylon string guitar.  The bonding time I have with them with a full electric band setup is the complete opposite of the solo playing I've done in the past 10 years.  Something about the feel of the nylon against my bare hands, the natural resonance of the guitar body and the total awareness when playing it -- it's just right.  A totally different experience.  So this weekend, I decided to work on this simple melody from Cinema Paradiso, one of my all-time favorite movie themes.  It's a short piece and is a nice escape from all the Rage, Audioslave and Hendrix my kids and I play all the time.  The fact that all my acoustic guitars are always inside cases (to protect them from environmental extremes) makes them somewhat transparent from everyday life.  Out of sight, out of mind.   But as I found out last week, I do miss it for sure.

No comments: