Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year's Resolution

I had been frustrated with boring results when I attempt to do these photo collages like this one above I did of a meadow in Mineral King, deep inside Sequoia National Park.  For starters, I think I'm approaching this photo collage business a little too conventional.  I try to capture the beauty and openness of a place like a meadow at 9000 ft elevation using a panoramic approach which is fine if I want to get uninteresting results.  At some point around 2009, I had completely gave up on photo collages.  Then I go see a couple David Hockney collages at museums over the past couple years and I know deep in the back of my mind, there is a lot of untapped potential in photo collages.  Because when I saw Hockney's Pearlblossom (below) at the Getty Center in 2010, it just completely blew my mind away.
So this year, I plan to revisit the subject of photo collages with a completely different mindset.  I think photography needs to be become drawing in order to produce an alternate reality that would not have existed otherwise if it weren't for the vision of the artist.  With digital cameras, it's also more forgiving since errors and bad shots literally don't cost me a single dime.

No comments: