Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Centurion Project

Yet another project, right?  Right.  I could not resist this 70s Centurion Super Lemans from this woman selling it on Craigslist.  I found 30 minutes this morning to check out the bike in Azusa, only about 2 miles from work.  Most surprising is the ride response given the big 27-inch wheels and laid-back 70s geometry.  I want to build a rat rod road bike.  Basically, a fairly modern bike in terms of drivetrain and brakes on a worn vintage frame/fork.  It will be a challenge getting replacement parts since not only is the bike old, it's also a Japanese frame and components.  As soon as I got home, I did the mandatory weigh in.  After dinner, in the as-is configuration, it read 28.2 lbs on the scale.  (My new carbon fiber Trek is less than 18 lbs so I know I will feel that extra 10 going up the hill on Day Creek Blvd.)  Thankfully, I still have Maura's old racing sewups and putting those on dropped the weight to 24.2 lbs.  Yup, a 4-lb savings just replacing those old ugly wheels with a lightweight racing set.  I did lose another 0.4 lbs cutting the seat tube 3 inches shorter (with plenty or margin), removing the chain ring guard and top brake lever attachments.  I did order a mustache handlebar tonight along with a lighter chain.  This rat rod project should keep me busy for a while.

No comments: