Sunday, October 9, 2011

My NPR, My Radio


I cannot even remember the number of books, CDs, movies, art, etc that had discovered over the years listening to National Public Radio.  I know that NPR is constantly under assault from the right wing in this country but given the fact that it had always been for as long as I can remember, I actually think there's a good chance for long term survival of NPR.  In particular, my public radio station,  KPCC (89.3) will always be around.  So I got some B&N gift cards on my birthday and went out to get some books when I did remember another interview driving home a couple weeks ago.  A certain Simon Garfield and his book on type.  So this week, this is what I'm reading based on an (indirect) NPR recommendation.  Of course, my kids listen to NPR as well when they're in the car with me.  In fact, Sam downloaded several This American Life podcasts into his iPod a couple weeks ago.  I believe the continuity with NPR will always be there as long as there are people in this country who are open to learning something new each day.

No comments: