Sunday, December 18, 2011

(1000) Milestone

For all practical purposes, it's a thousand miles.  That's how much I've logged on my Trek Madone as of today, December 18, 2011.  When I spent the money in August, I knew it was the one motivator that will get me to ride more -- the thought that I paid more than I can justify for this road bike.   While this is just a fraction of the 4000 miles I used to ride annually (in the mid 90s), I'm still pretty excited about getting back into what I used to think defined my identity.  Most in my social circles were from cycling -- and Maura and I developed life-long friends through the sport.  So this milestone is something I will take into 2012 -- doing something that Maura and I truly enjoyed.  She would have loved the riding around Rancho Cucamonga and Claremont.  And sometimes, when I'm feeling really good, I just imagine racing her to the top of Shinn Road on the way to Mt. Baldy.  Although she used to always beat me up those hill sprints, these days the thought of racing her is my way of keeping myself going.

No comments: