Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Adapting. Finally.

For the first time since moving to the 909, I did feel like I belong here.  On my business trip to Colorado a couple weeks ago, I did not feel the urge to fly from Burbank, which is fairly convenient from work.  And when I got back a few days later, driving down Archibald Avenue certainly felt like home -- much like how I used to feel driving up Altadena Drive after a long absence.  I can certainly attribute this change to riding the streets of Rancho Cucamonga on my bike, which I've always believed to be the best way to get to know a city.  As a result of trying to figure out where to ride, I've known all the small streets I need to take to get from point A to point B.  I vaguely remember going through the same process when we first moved to Pasadena.  I explored every corner of the foothill communities from Sierra Madre all the way to La Canada in order to get a feel for the area.  The other aspect of settling in is getting into certain routines -- in particular, places to eat.  At least once a week, the kids and I go to specific restaurants, pretty much out of habit -- CPK, King's Fish House and Rubio's.  And finally, ever since the kids started taking private music lessons at Alta Loma Music, we've gotten to know some friendly locals.  I just know it will be hard to leave the area when both kids go off to college but I have at least 7 more years before I have to worry about that.  For now, this is home.

No comments: